Review: Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3)
Author: Tahereh mafi
Release Date: February 4, 2014
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Personal Copy
Reviewed by: Jenn
Synopsis: With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn’t know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won’t keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world . . . but that’s not all he wants with her.

5 stars out of 5 stars

        I've been anticipating Ignite Me's release since the second I finished Unravel Me. I've been worried and scared just wondering how one of my favorite series was going to end. So when it finally came out, I ran to the bookstore to get my copy.

From the start of the book, we are told of the aftermath of the surprising ending in Unravel Me. Juliette had to come to term with shocking news, all while dealing with a different side of who she thought was our villain, Warner.

I am in awe of how far Juliette has come from being the broken girl in Shatter Me. She has grown so much and become strong, both physically and mentally. Even after being shot, she did what needed to be done. I won’t say who Juliette ends up with because I feel like it would be a disservice to Juliette by focusing on that and how much she fought to get to the point where her ability didn’t hinder her and she was able to use it as an advantage.
“This isn't about Adam or Warner," I tell him, "This is about me and what I want. This is about me finally understanding where I want to be in ten years. Because I'm going to be alive, Kenji. I will be alive in ten years, and I'm going to be happy. I'm going to be strong. And I don't need anyone to tell me that anymore. I am enough, and I always will be.” - Tahereh Mafi, Ignite Me
“I've finally gotten to a point in my life where I'm not afraid to speak. Where my shadow no longer haunts me. And I don't want to lose that freedom--not again. I can't go backward. I'd rather be shot dead screaming for justice than die alone in a prison of my own making.” - Tahereh Mafi, Ignite Me
*fist pump* I was so proud of Juliette at that moment. She grew so much as a character and I love that line. I will say that chapter 55 about killed me. I knew that there was going to be a chapter that would render me useless but I wasn't as prepared as I should have been. I had to reread that chapter twice just to be able to move forward.

My favorite part of the book (aside from Warner) was Kenji. I love Kenji. His friendship with Juliette was one of my favorite part of the trilogy. He’s very honest and real and supportive of everyone he talks to. He becomes Juliette’s soundboard and provides her with the perspective that she needs. He eventually becomes Juliette’s best friend and even though he's Adam's best friend, he stands up for her to Adam. I found that part to be quite interesting because Adam and Kenji had each other before Juliette and now here he's defending her when Adam wants nothing to do with her. And my favorite part about Kenji? His sense of humor:
“Are you out of your goddamn mind? You think we can take on two hundred soldiers? I know I am an extremely attractive man, J, but I am not Bruce Lee."
"Who's Bruce Lee?"
"Who's Bruce Lee?" Kenji asks, horrified. "Oh my God. We can't even be friends anymore."
"Why? Was he a friend of yours?"
"You know what," he says, "just stop. Just - I can't even talk to you right now.” - Tahereh Mafi, Ignite Me
I'm so happy with the way Ignite Me ended the Shatter Me series. I'm very happy with where the characters are left in the story. I do wish that there had been a bit of an epilogue or that it had a ending where it wasn't so open.

I can't wait to see what Tahereh Mafi does next because I know I'll be buying whatever she writes. She's just that good.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...