Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing The Limits
(source)

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
Expected Publication: July 31, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen

*I received this egalley from Harlequin Teen through NetGalley*

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary: "No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again."

I first heard about Pushing the Limits when I was browsing blog during BEA week and I saw a lot of people raving about how good it was and how everyone should read it. Once I saw the synopsis and the cover (the guys towering over the girl and his hand on her waist? One of my kryptonite), I wanted to read it myself. The story is about Echo (love the name) and Noah and how they seem so wrong for each other, however, their attraction towards each other keeps bringing them together.

Noah and Echo are as opposite as two people can get. Echo is the good and smart girl, the one that  always does what she is told. Noah is the bad boy (if you can really call him a bad boy) from the wrong side of the tracks. They both have their own thing in life that can tear them apart but it is those differences that bring them together.


The story is told in both Echo's and Noah's point of view, which normally is tricky to do and something I'm not always a fan of. However, I felt like Ms. McGarry did a great job in doing first person point of view with two different characters. I wasn't confused or felt like I missed something and was told the same thing twice.

One of the things I really enjoyed from this book was Echo's and Noah's sarcastic banter and their sweet moments. One of my favorite parts was during Echo's birthday and she was at a party with some friends and Noah happens to be there.

In a lightning-fast move, he placed both of his hands on the brick wall, caging me with his body. He leaned toward me and my heart shifted into a gear I didn't know existed. His warm breath caressed my neck, melting my frozen skin. I tilted my head, waiting for the solid warmth of his body on mine. I could see his eyes again and those dark orbs screamed hunger .
"I heard a rumor."
"What's that?" I struggled to get out.
"It's your birthday."
Terrified speaking would break the spell, I licked my suddenly dry lips and nodded.
"Happy birthday." Noah drew his lips closer to mine; that sweet musky smell overwhelmed my senses. I could almost taste his lips when he unexpectedly took a step back, inhaling deeply. The cold air slapped me into the land of sober.

Such a butterflies-in-the-stomach moment. I love those. I did felt like their romance happened really fast but it not something that really bugged me.

By the time the book came to a close, I was attached to Noah and Echo. Their chemistry worked well together and I liked how their relationship made them both stronger and didn't hinder their progress toward what they were working for. Noah finally realized that he could trust on people and that it ok to let go of the past. Echo came to termed with what happened with her mom and learned to do what she want to do, paying no mind to others.



About the Blogger
Jenn is a 23 years old, avid reader and who decided to try her luck on blogging. She enjoys reading Young Adults novels with swoony boys and with a twist. When she is not reading, she can be found watching The Big Bang Theory or watching old episodes of Gilmore Girls and Friends. Books and Swoons is her little baby.
Follow Jenn on Twitter and Goodreads


Books and Swoons

1 comments :

  1. This sounds like it has a lot of swoonery going on, especially from that quote, LOL. I can't wait to read this. SO glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...