Review: Die For Me by Amy Plum

Die for Me (Revenants, #1)
(source)
Released date: May 10, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen

*This review was done by one of my best friends, Daisel*

Daisel's Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (On Goodreads: 4 stars)

Goodreads Summary: "In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.
When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life - and memories - behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.
Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant - an undead being whose fate forces himself to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound to in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

The saying goes, "Don't judge a book by its cover" but when I first saw the cover of this book, I automatically fell in love and I decided to give the book a try. Kate Mercier and her sister Georgia moves to Paris after the death of their parents. As she tries to cope with their loss, she runs into a handsome, mysterious boy named Vincent. Shortly after meeting him, unexplainable things begin to happen around him and Kate is brought to the realization that Vincent might not be entirely human.




He is a Revenant; Revenants are those who have died while sacrificing themselves to save someone else's life. Their death, however, are only temporary and they rise again in three days to return to their secret lives as saviors.

Now, as I started reading the book I felt that the story was a little rushed, overly descriptive and too repetitive but I did not give up that easily. As I continued to read, I fell in love little by little with all the great characters and the plot of the story. The setting, Paris? Who doesn't love the City of Lights? The author did a great job in describing all the places in the book.

I really like Kate as the protagonist of this book. She is smart, strong, and genuine. Kate is going through a lot with the death of her parents. Even with all the sadness that the terrible accident caused her, she still takes the time to think about the consequences of her decisions.

I love Kate and Vincent's romance. It was love at first sight; he was always a gentleman. Vincent is gorgeous and mysterious. He is a sweet, yet sexy guy who has a French accent. What else could a girl want?

As we turned a corner and the train jerked to the side, he put an arm around my shoulders to steady me. "We haven't even gotten there and you're already making a move?" I laughed. 
"Of course not. I am a gentleman through and through," he responded in a quiet voice. "I would throw my coat over a puddle for you any day."
~B&S~
"So, is this a habit of yours, leaving your bag behind in order to strike up a conversation?" He grinned and nodded at the bench where I had been sitting. Lying beneath it was my book bag. "Wouldn't it be easier to just walk up to a guy and say hello?"
~B&S~
"Thank you for being here, my beauty. Mon ange. My Kate. Yours utterly, Vincent."

In general, this is a lovely story with a new twist and introducing us to a new type of hero. The book has some cliches but it is well written and does not leave us with hanging questions. Die For Me is a fresh, gripping, must-read which you really won't want to miss out on! The second book of the series is out already, Until I Die,  and I cannot wait to read and see if it's as captivating as the first book.

My question to you is: Would you risk you life for love?


About the Guest Reviewer
My name is Daisel, I am 24 years old. I recently started reading (peer pressure, hehe) and since then I haven't been able to stop. Among the others hobbies that I have (mostly I like to lay in bed and listen music), I discovered that I enjoy reading. It take me to places and relieves the stress of real life. I enjoy reading (mostly) everything. Also, I have a "thing" for the boys in the books *swoon* I have a long list of imaginary crushes.
Follow Daisel on Goodreads




2 comments :

  1. Thank you for posting my review. :) I cannot wait for you to read the book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...