DNF Review: The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher

The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Publisher: Gallery Books
Source: Gallery Book through NetGalley
Reviewer: Jenn
Links: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Goodreads / IndieBound

My rating: 1 out of 5 stars

Summary:
Lizzie's reputation is destroyed when she's caught in bed with her best friend's boyfriend on prom night. With the whole school turned against her, and Angie not speaking to her, Lizzie takes her own life. But someone isn't letting her go quietly. As graffiti and photocopies of Lizzie's diary plaster the school, Angie begins a relentless investigation into who, exactly, made Lizzie feel she didn't deserve to keep living. And while she claims she simply wants to punish Lizzie's tormentors, Angie's own anguish over abandoning her best friend will drive her deep into the dark, twisted side of Verity High - and she might not be able to pull herself back out.

Debut author Chelsea Pitcher daringly depicts the harsh realities of modern high schools, where one bad decision can ruin a reputation, and one cruel word can ruin a life. Angie's quest for the truth behind Lizzie's suicide is addictive and thrilling, and her razor-sharp wit and fierce sleuthing skills makes her impossible not to root for - even when it becomes clear that both avenging Lizzie and avoiding self-destruction might not be possible.

**This is a Did Not Finish review. I did not read the whole book, only up to 23% . So this is just my thoughts up to where I read.**


Unfortunately, this is a DNF review. I tried and tried to get into this book but I just couldn't. The premise of the story really intrigued me especially after reading Speechless by Hannah Harrington last year. It reminded me a little bit of it and so I was excited when Gallery Books approved me on NetGalley.


First off, the galley was filled with errors which made the reading experience a little bit more difficult. I could live with that if only the female protagonist wasn't such, excuse me for the word, a bitch. Angie was Lizzie best friend and she was one of the people that ostracized Lizzie. Now, with Lizzie dead, she finds out that someone is posting Lizze’s diary around school. Angie decides that she needs to find out who it is and goes on a hunt.


She acts all self-righteous when confronting people, as if she were any better than them. After a while I became so angry at Angie that I decided I just couldn't continue reading anymore. Unfortunately, I don’t see myself picking up a finished copy and finishing this book.

1 comments :

  1. I was not a fan of this book. It didn't do anything for me so I don't think you are missing out by not finishing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...