DNF Review: Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman

Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman
Release Date: August 21, 2012
Publisher: Walker & Company
Source: ARCycling 
Reviewer: Nahomi
Links: Amazon / Barnes and Noble / Goodreads

My rating: 1 out of 5 Stars

Goodreads Summary:
"Rachel and Alice are an extremely rare kind of identical twins-so identical that even their aunt and uncle, whom they've lived with since their parents passed away, can't tell them apart. But the sisters are connected in a way that goes well beyond their surfaces: when one experiences pain, the other exhibits the exact same signs of distress. So when one twin mysteriously disappears, the other immediately knows something is wrong-especially when she starts experiencing serious physical traumas, despite the fact that nobody has touched her. As the search commences to find her sister, the twin left behind must rely on their intense bond to uncover the truth. But is there anyone around her she can trust, when everyone could be a suspect? And ultimately, can she even trust herself?"

**This is a Did Not Finish review. I didn't read the whole book, I only got until page 124. The following are my thoughts on what I did read.**

        I borrowed a couple of books from Jenn to review and upon reading the synopsis, I thought this would be more up my alley. I love a good mystery and I'm usually so impatient to find out what happens, that I normally finish fairly quickly. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with this book. I've been struggling to get through it for a couple of weeks until I gave up last Wednesday when I hit, what seem to me, another long flashback over filled with needless details. I had reached my limit and decided I couldn't keep reading.

I normally love books with details and flashback but this story has an overabundance of mindless details which distracted me from the actual story. While reading, I found myself drifting off and all the details stopped me from imagining the scene. The flashbacks are full of these details and although, I can see why she is trying to do this, it isn't done very well. There are plot twist within the first 50 pages, which I wasn't expecting but it wasn't enough to hook me. I never felt that sense of urgency from the characters because of what was happening. In the end I wasn't even a little curious to find out what happened to the twins.

Bottom line: Every time I thought, "Ok, I can get through this." another mind numbing flashback would come, or the character would start describing everything down to the last little detail and I would have to put the book down. This book wasn't my cup of tea and it just my opinion of it, but you're more than welcome to give it a try.

Until next time,
Nahomi

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...