Review: Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles

Release date: October 1, 2013
Source: Personal Copy
Reviewed by: Nahomi

My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 stars


Synopsis:
After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek's counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else's family drama.

Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain-people you care about leave without a backward glance. A football scholarship would finally give her the chance to leave. So she pours everything into winning a state championship, until her boyfriend and star quarterback betrays them all by joining their rival team. Ashtyn needs a new game plan, but it requires trusting Derek-someone she barely knows, someone born to break the rules. Is she willing to put her heart on the line to try and win it all?

     This book was recommended to by my friend Daisel at Owl Always Be Reading, and I'm sure glad I listened. Having already read Perfect Chemistry, I was already a fan of Simone Elkeles writing. Ms. Elkeles brings the same great elements I loved from her other series. She gives us a beautiful story in which I laughed, cried, and fell in love. This novel is told from dual point of views; which I will always say Simone Elkeles is the master of. The way she transitions from chapter to chapter is flawless. I was never lost as to who is speaking and or what's happening in the story. The dialogue is really enjoyable as well. Even though at times, the characters were dealing with loss and other serious issues the dialogue is funny and refreshing. The pacing was perfect, I never felt like the story dragged or was rushed at any point.

What I liked most about this novel is that the main characters' are more like partners, they're on the same level. Ashtyn is just as capable of defending herself as Derek, and they both need saving but for different reasons. This isn't your typical damsel in distress story, where the love interest swoops in and saves the day. Ashtyn is a well respected football player, so much so, that the team made her captain her senior year. She works just as hard as the guys if not harder to prove herself. She is working hard to help her team get to the state championships, even if it means teaching Derek how to play football (lol, you'd have to read to know why this is so hilarious). 

Derek seems like he doesn't have a care in the world, but is a soft and mushy teddy bear on the inside. He has the typical attributes of a swoony boy; sweet, bad boy, HOTTT (that's right he got an extra T), did I mention he has a southern accent (I am just a sucker for accents), oh and did I mention that he is polite and can cook. For several reasons Derek is a good boy gone bad and trying to stay that way. All I can say is that he puts up a good fight. I love chemistry between Ashtyn and Derek. There relationship progresses slowly and at times seems like it might not happen, but when it does I absolutely love how it ends up. 

Look, I can go on and on about how I love this book and all of it's characters, and the writing: But, the only way you'll truly know the awesomeness of this story is if you read it. So, what are you waiting for... go read it. You won't be disappointed Wild Cards is a great story that is wonderfully written. 

P.S. For more about the book, and the four part mini series book trailers go here.

P.P.S. I am so excited about the second book and I can't wait for it to come out!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...