Review - Take Me On by Katie McGarry


Take Me On
(Pushing the Limits #4)
Author: Katie McGarry
Release Date: May 27, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Source: NetGalley
Review by: Jenn
Champion kickboxer Haley swore she'd never set foot in the ring again after one tragic night.  But then the guy she can't stop thinking about accepts a mixed martial arts fight in her honor.  Suddenly, Haley has to train West Young.  All attitude, West is everything Haley promised herself she'd stay away from.  Yet he won't last five seconds in the ring without her help.

West is keeping a big secret from Haley.  About who he really is.  But helping her - fighting for her - is a shot at redemption.  Especially since it's his fault his family is falling apart.  He can't change the past, but maybe he can change Haley's future.

Haley and West have agreed to keep their relationship strictly in the ring.  But as an unexpected bond forms between them and attraction mocks their best intentions, they'll face their darkest fears and discover love is worth fighting for.
4 stars out of 5 stars
*I received an eARC of this book from the publisher but it did not influence this review in any way.*

Katie McGarry wins me over every time. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when this book was announced and it wasn't about Abby, a character we first met in Dare You To. However, it a Katie McGarry book so I knew I would be reading it anyways. I mean, duh, how could I not?

Haley's and West's story completely captivated my attention and I could not stop reading until I was done. I was drawn to West's story and the way he feels so responsible for his family's fate. There were so many times that I just wanted to talk to him and hug him and just make him see that he isn't responsible for everyone and to what happens to them. I felt anger towards his parents for not being able to see how much pain their son was in (in reality, all their kids) and how they could have helped him. 

Haley's family was also very conflicting. There were so many times when I wanted to drop kick her uncle and yell at her grandfather. Her grandfather had an inkling of what happened to her and instead of trying to be a safe space, he pushed and pushed when it was obvious she needed him. I really enjoy the story line of Haley being kickboxer. It such an interesting part of her and I loved seeing how she was teaching West instead of it being the other way around. 

I enjoyed reading Haley's and West's story. Their banter was fun and there was such build up in their attraction towards each other and it felt so palpable that I just wanted them to kiss. I LOVED that we got little glimpses of my favorite characters - Rachel, Isaiah, and Abby - even if was little snippets here and there. 

Katie McGarry managed to hook me again with her storytelling and furthers proves that I will read anything that she writes. I can't wait for her next book, Breaking the Rules, I just hope that eventually she writes an Abby-centric book.

2 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already read the book, but I was a little confused. Did West win his fight against Matt?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...