Top Ten Tuesday: Top 10 Book Turn-Offs

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the wonderful girls at The Broke and The Bookish. Every week the girls come up with a subject and we have to answer them.

Morning Swooners,

This weeks Top 10 is all about bookish turn-offs, things. Here are some of the things that keep up us from really immersing into a books world and enjoying the story. Whether it is a character we just can't care about, or writing that keeps throwing us out of the books world back into reality.
This is our Top 10:
1. Insta-Love - Basically, I (Jenn) find this to be so unrealistic and so common in books that it just completely bothers me and the exciting read I was expecting, turns into a fail.
2. Love Triangle- there is no winning, there are teams, disappointment, and a main character that can never choose. I'm so over love triangles, that it makes me angry when I realize that a story I'm reading has one.

3. Crappy narration- is confusing and keeps me from enjoying the story, because I'm too busy trying to figure out who is speaking.
4. Whiny/indecisive protagonist- are super annoying, and can turn a book I was looking forward to into a eye rolling night mare.

5. Unrealistic storyline- I just can't get into the story, it's not believable in the least bit. I might as well not pick up the book.
6. Cheating - this is a hard limit for me, I cannot tolerate any sort cheating and if I do read something with cheating, you can find me raging to my friends afterwards.

7. Too many details- gives me ADD, I begin to feel overloaded, and my mind starts drifting.
8. Bad writing/editing- is a story killer, because instead of being able to enjoy the story, I get stuck on the typos or how the story is written, sometimes both.

9. Horrible Cover- just hurts the eyes, and looks ugly on my shelf.
10.Slow or non-existent plot = boring book.

6 comments :

  1. Agree with all of these and I have to admit I'm a bit over love triangles, but some of them (very few) can be well done. The pointless love triangles are really annoying. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a bad experience for me, and your right very few are well done. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Insta-love already makes me dread picking up a book. Curse you, insta-love! And love triangles, if not done right can be really annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with your list! Love triangles...I feel like authors feel obligated to make a love triangle because it's what the genre demands, particularly urban fantasy. Some are done well (Mercy Thompson series) and some are totally forced which I find annoying especially when it's not tied up by book two or three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with your whole list! Although, if a love triangle is written right it don't bother me as much :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...