Review: Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day (Just One Day #1) 
By Gayle Forman 
Release Date: January 8, 2013
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Source: Personal Copy
Review by: Jenn
Links: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Goodreads / IndieBound
A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay.
When sheltered American good girl Allyson "Lulu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there's an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.
Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem's story - Just One Year - is coming soon!


4.5 stars out of 5 stars

       I'm a big fan of Gayle Forman's If I Stay and Where She Went and when I first heard that she had a new book planned, I was immediately sold on it without knowing anything about it. So when I finally got my hands on Just One Day, I just knew I was going to love it.

As I was reading Just One Day, I felt the plot moving a little slow but considering what Allyson, the main character, was going through it made sense why it did. Gayle Forman managed to write about Paris in such a detailed way that I felt like I was experiencing it right along with Allyson. Ms. Forman also has a way of writing that is so simplistic and elegant but it leaves you feeling every emotion possible. I was a left reeling by the end of this book. I felt as if I went on a self-discovery journey with Allyson and I didn't know how to feel afterwards.


I really enjoyed reading about Allyson and her story. I found her to be such an approachable and relatable character. I feel like she is a typical young girl who is confused about life and doesn't really know what she wants to do with her life. She is afraid of disappointing her parents, specifically her mother, so it takes her some time to stand up to her. Willem is the Dutch actor Allyson meets in London and all through out their one day together, I didn't know how to feel about him. I liked him for the little information that he did give us but he kept this air of mystery around him that sort of stopped me from being charmed by him. Because of this, I can't wait for Willem's book so we can learn about the mysterious, charming, laid-back actor.


Overall, I adored Just One Day. I found it to be such a wonderful read and all I want to do now is hop on a plane, travel the world and go on my own self-discovery journey. I can't wait to read Just One Year and learn more about Willem and Allyson and if they ever get their double happiness.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...