Review: The Edge of Normal by Carla Norton

The Edge of Normal by Carla Norton
Release Date: September 10, 2013
Publisher: Minotaur Books / St. Martin's Griffin
Source: BEA 2013
Reviewed by: Jenn
Links: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Goodreads / IndieBound

My rating: 4 stars out of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:
In many ways, Reeve LeClaire looks like a typical twenty-two year old girl. She's finally landed her own apartment, she waitresses to pay the bay, and she wishes she wasn't so nervous around new people. She thinks of herself as agile, not skittish. As serious, not grim. But Reeve is anything but normal.
Ten years ago, she was kidnapped and held captive. After a lucky escape, she's spent the last six years trying to rebuild her life, a recovery thanks in large part to her indispensable therapist Dr. Ezra Lerner. But when he asks her to help another girl rescued from a similar situation, Reeve realizes she may not simply need to mentor this young victim - she may be the only who can protect her from a cunning predator who is still out there, watching every move.
From the author of the #1 non-fiction bestseller Perfect Victim: The True Story of the Girl in the Box comes a novel that draws you into a chilling and engrossing world. With powerfully gripping characters and an ending that is a masterpiece of deception, Carla Norton's The Edge of Normal is a stunning debut thriller.


        It had been a while since I've read a mystery/crime fiction novel, so The Edge of Normal was a really quick read. But I have to admit that I found myself unable to read while after dark and/or in bed. It was a little frightening by the topic and how the villain stalked his victims so I was only able to read in daylights.

Reeve is not your typical girl. She was kidnapped and held hostage for four years. She has managed to slowly build her life again but then she’s asked to help a victim that was in a similar situation. She then becomes tangled up in the happenings of the case and is forced to confront a predator who is still out there watching her every move.

I found the overall story line of the book to be really well done and believable. It was nicely paced and I found myself wondering who exactly the bad guy. It wasn't necessarily to know but more along the lines to confirm my suspicions (it didn't). However, the villain certainly lived up to my expectations. I was really impressed with the way he was so meticulous and how he had everything so thought out. Again, it was a little disturbing for me because we knew what he was planning but we still had no way of knowing how he was going to implement his plans.

My only complaint with the book was how Reeve sort of became tangled up in the case of Tilly Cavanaugh. I can see how much strength she has but the way she was the only person to see that there was something else missing or that was wrong? I find that a little hard to believe. Other than that, I found her character growth to be, a little fast, but on point. She does a lot of for Tilly and it did her some good in order for her to move on.

All in all, I found The Edge of Normal to be a really good, at times, creepy, read. Carla Norton did a wonderful job at telling us a gritty story without the actual gritty details. I can’t wait to read from her.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...