Review: One Moment by Kristina McBride

One MomentOne Moment
By: Kristina McBride
Release Date: June 26, 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie's life. Now it's the one she'd do anything to forget.
Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can't she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below- dead?
As Maggie's memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping secrets, what else was he hiding?


3.5 out of 5 stars

*I received this early egalley from EgmontUSA through NetGalley*

One Moment is about a girl named Maggie who has a group of five friends and in one of the weekend before the end her junior year, one of them dies.The problem is that it was Maggie's boyfriend, Joey, who died, and she was with him during his last moments. She can't remember what happened during those moments Joey was alive and she struggles throughout the novel in trying to bring those memories back.

Right after Joey's death Maggie tries to remember those missing moments but once she learns that Joey may have been hiding secrets from her, it seems like she then tried to avoid remembering them. However, I can't judge her too harshly since I cannot even imagine going through that kind of trauma and I would want to avoid it myself. Especially once she realizes that the Joey she knew may not have been who he really was. My curiosity was piqued and I wanted to know where Joey had gone after dropping everyone home after the party on Saturday night.



One of the things I really enjoyed from the novel were the friendships everyone shared. Maggie, Joey, Adam, Pete, Tanna, and Shannon all grew up together and with Joey's death hanging around them, they tried to be there for one another while also dealing with their own grief. Pete and Tanna were the go-to in trying to make everyone feel better and make them smile. I think Ms. McBride did a wonderful job in weaving their friendships and their histories together. And in also portraying the way teenagers really behave and in creating such unique and well-rounded characters.

Once the truth of Joey's secrets came out, I had already figured it out. All the pieces of the puzzles had been connected and I was just waiting on Maggie to catch up and deal with it. I felt betrayed and I would have loved to see how everyone dealt with it. Would they forgive and forget and stay friends? Or would that have been the end of those years of friendship? Would the repercussions be only for that person? Questions and questions and no answers for them.

One part that did have me teary eyed was when Maggie was saying her goodbyes to Joey and letting go him in the same place where they had their first date (And it was such a awesome first date). It was such an emotional and important part for Maggie in order for her to move and it was done is such a lovely way.

I'll share with you this one quote that I think really sums Maggie's feelings throughout the book:
"What if it's as simple as one moment? One tiny thing, like that kiss on the rocks? What if I'd kissed him a little longer? Would he be alive right now? Or what if I stayed with him Friday night, what if I'd been with him...wherever he was?"
I am not giving this book a 4 star, though I did enjoyed and liked it, because I just wasn't jumping for joy, or bawling my eyes out in this case, and it was low on the swoons. I have to have my swoons. I do recommend it to those who are looking for a short, sweet, and touching read.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...