Review: For Real by Alison Cherry


For Real
Author: Alison Cherry
Release Date: December 9, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: NetGalley
Review by: Jenn
No parents. No limits. No clue what they're in for.

Shy, cautious Claire has always been in her confident older sister's shadow. While Miranda's life is jam-packed with exciting people and whirlwind adventures, Claire gets her thrills vicariously by watching people live large on reality TV.

When Miranda discovers her boyfriend, Samir, cheating on her just before her college graduation, it's Claire who comes up with the perfect plan. They'll outshine Miranda's fame-obsessed ex while having an amazing summer by competing on Around the World, a race around the globe for a million bucks. Revenge + sisterly bonding = awesome.

But the show has a twist, and Claire is stunned to find herself in the middle of a reality-show romance that may or may not be just for the cameras. This summer could end up being the highlight of her life... or an epic fail forever captured on film. In a world where drama is currency and manipulation is standard, how can you tell what's for real?
3.5 stars out of 5 stars
*I received an eARC of this book from the publisher but it did not influence this review in any way.*

So interesting tidbit that I want to share with you about this book. I requested this book on NetGalley on whim thinking that, while it sounded interesting, I was not expecting to get approved because the publisher is Delacorte Press/Random House and I don't typically get approve from them. Imagine my surprised once I got my approval email for this book. I'm just really glad that they did approved me because I ended up devouring this book in one afternoon.

For Real follows the story of two sisters doing an Amazing Race type of reality show in order to get revenge on one of the sister's ex-boyfriend. Claire is the shy sister while Miranda is the outgoing and popular one. They're both so different but they end up balancing each other out. I have to admit that I didn't like Miranda up until the last moment. I thought that she was selfish and condescending and didn't care about what happened with Claire if it didn't benefit her. Claire, on the other hand, always tried to helped out Miranda up until she decided to stand up for herself.

Their relationship is very typical and I enjoyed how they both learned how much the other has changed. Miranda thought she knew her sister and vice versa with Claire. So they were both acting like they always did but hadn't taken the time to re-learn themselves. See, Miranda is a recent college grad and Claire is still in high school. They haven't been living in the same house for 4 years, so they haven't seen how the other has changed. Once Claire stood up for herself and both sister spoke out how the other made them feel, it truly made them realize that they're still growing as people so they shouldn't put each other in box and stop them from growing.

I love the plot of this book. I thought it was very fun and quick but I feel like I got to know these characters. Especially some of the secondary characters. They were definitely an interesting bunch and my only complaint is that I wish we had gotten to know some of them better. The twist with Claire's love interest was very nicely played. I kind of figured it out but it still sucked for Claire. I did enjoyed how Miranda managed to support Claire in the end. You don't mess with sisters.

Alison Cherry did a great job at creating a wonderful dynamic between Claire and Miranda. Their relationship felt very real and authentic. I love reading stories that focuses on relationship with those that are our first friends because there is nothing like some siblings love and rivalry. For Real was a great read and it went by so fast that I didn't even realize how fast I was blowing through the pages. I think as my first Alison Cherry book, I'm looking forward to reading more from her.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for passing by and for commenting. I read and appreciate each and every comment.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...